Powered by Blogger.

She's is Paint C Out!




Gosh! I’ve gone from one post a month to three in a matter of weeks things must be juicing up, so here is the latest on Paint C Out! and myself. Yesterday I went for a routine check on my imposter with the plastic surgeon. After a quick examination on my imposter they agreed the radiotherapy has created capsulation. Capsulation is where the tissue around the implant starts to reject the implant and creates scarring surrounding it. My imposter has started to throb, which is what happened last time and it ended up it being removed and cleaned up. Then we went onto discussing both breasts and we came to the decision that I could have the remaining right breast removed and reconstructed. The plastic surgeon said we could remove the implant and use stomach fat etc which means there would be no rejection. I’m not asking to be like Katie Price, I just want normal sized breasts for my frame this is a A/B cup nothing more.  For the ball to get rolling I first have to sit down and talk with my oncology team at the Royal Marsden. From there I may need a referral from my GP, but the plastic surgeon said it will not be an issue.  The fact I had already been through so much with my right breast it is all about peace of mind. I explained I had asked before about removal just after the last lumpectomy and starting the Chemotherapy, but my concerns were brushed aside.  He explained with so many women coming forward with the BRCA gene and requesting mastectomy’s etc they had to change their opinion. The fact my cancer had reached stage three of cause I would want my other breast removed just to try stop that fear. I said well they can’t say I have not tried to not go down this route, but I’ve realised it’s my family that is suffering with all these biopsies no one else.

As for Paint C Out!

Well I’m attempting to sell our story to raise money for canvases, paints and a new camera. All what I have done so far I have funded out of my pocket and I’m determined to raise this projects profile. I know this has a good positive on a bad negative journey so why not share.
Here is the outline I sent:

When my 6 year old daughter saw my mastectomy scar for the first time in 2010, she said mummy I hope I don’t get breast cancer. She did not fear cancer, but the scars that were clearly visible.
I knew somehow I had to get my daughter into a pro-active way of thinking, where cancer was not the soul topic in our home. I am a Yorkshire woman who strongly believes a foundation building confidence can replace fear. I started to research on the internet events that were free in London. I moved to London in 2007 and we live just off the central line, so central London is not far away. I stumbled on a webpage that was promoting red carpet events. I thought ok that is what we need a hobby. Red carpet events are exciting for a child because they get to meet stars off the big screen and chat to them, also being a Yorkshire woman it costs nothing. Since 2010 Sophia has walked 8 red carpets and collected over 250 autographs. These include Madonna, Katie Perry, Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise and the list goes on. 

Then in March 2013, after completing chemotherapy and radiotherapy for a stage 3 recurrence a friend said Sarah if you can do portraits why not paint the stars. At first I was unsure because I wasn’t sure if I was good enough, but with encouragement we got our first portrait signed by Johnny Depp, closely followed by Jennifer Aniston, Cillian Murphy, Chris Hemsworth and Olivia Wilde. All responded with amazement and we filmed some of the responses.

From doing this I’ve now created Paint C Out! I paint the pictures my daughter gets the stars to sign. It has become a challenge because Sophia would love to keep all the paintings, but she understands we are doing something better than that. The paintings we do we intend to sell and raise funds for Paint C Out! and Maggie’s, London. Maggie’s were my back bone when things got difficult and I attended their creative art sessions every Friday. It meant we as a family could give back as a thank you for all their support and advice. 

“Paint C Out!” Is not just about Maggie’s either. I’m also painting pictures for those who have been affected by cancer. These paintings they get to keep free of charge. This includes a painting of a star and I get them to sign it. We have George Clooney waiting to be signed and I’ve received a request for Benedict Cumberbatch. If by sharing my daughters hobby brings a smile on some ones face then it has been worth it. 

I’m still receiving treatment for my recurrence, but in no way shape or form will cancer stop me. Our next premiere will be Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson.
If you publish our story the money received from our adventure will be spent on a brand new camera and more canvases plus paint for Paint C Out! Right now I am funding this project and while those who I have painted for want to pay me I want this to be a gift from the heart. 

We would also love to find an Art Gallery that would display our story as a positive for other families facing a cancer diagnosis before the paintings are sold. As it stands there is a hole where peer support for young females with mothers facing a breast cancer diagnosis. I hope at some point by raising Paint C Out! profile with our story that this hole can be addressed. I also do pro-active work with Breakthrough breast cancer raising awareness to this issue, as well as with Maggie’s. A cancer diagnosis can be lonely for a cancer patient, but imagine what it is like for an eight year old girl who has not developed breasts yet.

I think this sums the journey thus far… 



As I listen to my daughter practicing on her piano I have to thank god that I have brought up one little strong lady. Without her knowing it she has been my spurring force that has kept my sanity intact to beat this disease. She is the force in “Paint C Out!” without a doubt!
So please share our story and help Paint C Out create more smiles..